In accordance with Notre Dame’s bylaws, the school is governed by a board of directors. The board’s primary work and focus is:
- Long range and strategic planning; mission and vision
- Policy oversight
- Financial planning, management and reporting
- Selection and evaluation of head of school
The board’s responsibility is to ensure that the operations of the school are consistent with the mission of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur (SND) and to provide fiduciary oversight. Prospective board members are approved by the SND East West Province.
The board is not involved directly with specific school management, personnel or program issues.
The board meets approximately eight times per year. There are ten committees to the board made up of community members and chaired by board members. The committees meet approximately eight times a year:
Standing committees include:
- Committee on Governance: Identifies, recruits and cultivates board and board committee members, oversees board governance.
- Diversity Committee: Oversees Notre Dame’s policies, initiatives, and strategic goals related to Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (REDI). Works with the board and the administration to ensure that Notre Dame strives to be a school free from discrimination.
- Executive: Oversees and manages the work of the board.
- Finance: Develops the long range financial plan; sets tuition and reviews yearly operational budget for board approval; monitors investment portfolio.
- Head of School Development Committee: In addition to writing the head of school’s annual performance appraisal, the head of school development committee determines the needs of the head of school position for growth, sustainability and succession and makes recommendations to the board accordingly.
- Investment Committee: Overall stewardship of Notre Dame’s investments and oversight of the investment management services. The investment committee is a subcommittee of the finance committee.
- Mission Integration: Assists the board in assuring the Catholic identity, the mission of Notre Dame San Jose and the Hallmarks of a Notre Dame learning community.
- Physical Resource Committee: Assures a long-term resource plan for the school’s needs that includes physical plant development, real estate, and community/city relationship.
- Strategic Partnership Development: Supports fund growth and long range plan for school advancement.
- Strategic Plan Oversight Committee: Monitors the progress of the Vision 2025 plan and reports to the board of directors bi-annually.