SEMI High Tech U (HTU) is a three-day program for high school students who want to know more about careers in the tech industry. Students put science, engineering, technology, and math (STEM) skills to use during hands-on workshops led by industry volunteers.
All workshops are activity-based and taught by tech professionals:
- Light up the room with an experiment facilitated by an engineer
- Make your own wafer with a manufacturing engineer
- Launch hacky sacks with quality engineers to see the importance of statistics
- Become a human calculator to see how logic gates work
- Interview with a tech recruiter or manager to learn how to get the job you want
- Flex your teamwork skills to solve a real-world problem
In addition to seeing the connection between STEM classes and tech careers, students hear from industry professionals about their school-to-work journeys.
This event is organized by the SEMI Foundation,committed to helping high school students gain a better understanding of how Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) are used to solve “real world” problems. We foster a renewed commitment to explore a future in the technology industry. Since 2001, their HTU program has reached over 6,900 students in 12 states and nine countries.